- male chauvinist
- nouna man with a chauvinistic belief in the inferiority of women• Syn: ↑sexist• Hypernyms: ↑antifeminist
* * *a male who patronizes, disparages, or otherwise denigrates females in the belief that they are inferior to males and thus deserving of less than equal treatment or benefit.[1965-70]
* * *male chauvinist or male chauvinist pig noun (informal; derogatory)A man who believes in the superiority of men over women and behaves accordingly (abbrev MCP)• • •Main Entry: ↑male
* * *male chauvinist UK US noun [countable] [singular male chauvinist plural male chauvinists] showing disapprovala chauvinistThesaurus: equal rightssynonymDerived Word: male chauvinism
* * *male chauvinist,a person who exhibits male chauvinism; a man who regards himself as superior to women.
* * *a man who believes men are more important, intelligent, etc. than women
He's just another male chauvinist who is jealous of his wife's success.
I hate working for thatmale chauvinist pig
Steve.See also: ↑chauvinist
Useful english dictionary. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
male chauvinist — male chauvinists ADJ GRADED: usu ADJ n (disapproval) If you describe an attitude or remark as male chauvinist, you are critical of it because you think it is based on the belief that men are naturally superior to women. The male chauvinist… … English dictionary
male chauvinist — n a man who believes that men are better than women and has fixed, traditional ideas about the way men and women should behave used to show disapproval ▪ I m afraid Bill s a bit of a male chauvinist. male chauvinist pig (=an insulting name for a… … Dictionary of contemporary English
male chauvinist — n. A man with a belief in the inferiority of women; one who believes in or practises male chavinism. Syn: sexist. [WordNet 1.5 +PJC] … The Collaborative International Dictionary of English
male chauvinist — (adj.) 1969; see CHAUVINISM (Cf. chauvinism) … Etymology dictionary
male chauvinist — /meɪl ˈʃoʊvənəst/ (say mayl shohvuhnuhst) noun 1. a man who discriminates against women by applying to them stereotyped ideas of incompetence, inferiority, passivity, etc. 2. a chauvinist for the male sex. –adjective 3. having the characteristics … Australian English dictionary
male chauvinist — UK / US noun [countable] Word forms male chauvinist : singular male chauvinist plural male chauvinists showing disapproval a chauvinist Derived word: male chauvinism noun uncountable … English dictionary
male chauvinist — noun (C) a man who believes that men are better than women and who has fixed, traditional ideas about the way men and women should behave: Bill was very much the male chauvinist, and wouldn t let his wife go out to work. | male chauvinist pig… … Longman dictionary of contemporary English
male chauvinist — noun Male chauvinist is used before these nouns: ↑pig … Collocations dictionary
male chauvinist — male′ chau′vinist n. sex a sexist man • Etymology: 1965–70 male′ chau′vinism, n … From formal English to slang
ˌmale ˈchauvinist — See: chauvinist … Dictionary for writing and speaking English